Gas has been used in homes for some time now. Its still la very common source of heat in many houses and apartments. Cookers, fireplaces, boilers, and of course, a wide variety of appliances all need to use gas. Most people will appreciate just how cheap gas can be. However, there is always a catch.
Namely, there is a small chance that an unsafe, improperly set up appliance, will leak gas. This can be a nightmare, one that can cause fires, explosions, as well as carbon monoxide poisoning. These all can cause property damage, at least, and at worst can lead to a severe tragedy. For this reason, we have written up this little article. It can help you stay safe when using gas regularly in your home.
Have your appliances checked and maintained regularly
This point might actually be mandatory by law. Namely, certain insurance companies require that you have your boiler, for example, get treated every year. This may lead to a failure on your insurance claim, as well as having your warranty voided.
On the more humane level, you want them services and checked regularly in order to stay safe. Hiring a good heating repair service means you can rest easy knowing you don’t have to worry about your appliances.
Now, do take care of your appliances. Any heavy and serious maintenance needs to be handled by professionals, you will only make things worse without proper training. However, you yourself can do some basic maintenance. You can prevent dirt buildups in ventilators, and generally try to keep them clean. Also, keep all cables safe and untangled.
You want your water heaters to be inspected and flushed on a regular basis. Fireplaces need to be cleaned out – this includes ports, vents, as well as added servicing and maintenance.
Your ovens, ranges, and dryers require maintenance ordered by professionals, but in line with their manuals, with proper maintenance procedures and intervals.
Check Gas Safety certificates
When you enter a home, you need to get Gas Safety certificates if you want to be sure that your new home is safe. Remember that you have the right to ask for these rights. Your landlord has an obligation to organize regular safety checks, as well as keep a record of said checks.
Don’t mess with your appliances
This point cannot be emphasized enough – do not tamper with your appliances. This can be fatal. If you believe your appliance is broken, call the professionals and have them take a look. Also, use them as these things are intended. Don’t use a gas cooker to heat up a room, and don’t use plastics or wood. In other words, practice common sense.
Everything needs to be inspected properly, and used according to its manual. This keeps you safe, and it keeps you from voiding the warranty on them.
Keep an eye out for several warning signs
Note that too many people simply don’t know the warning signs of using an appliance. They do not know the basic lifesaving signs, which is a downright shame, especially because many of them are obvious. So, if you notice excessive condensation, or deep black marks around your appliance (and on it directly), you really need to contact someone. Furthermore, your pilot lights should let out clean blue flames, with very little, if any, smell or smoke. Yellow flames with lots of nasty smoke is a very bad sign.
Then, unsafe appliances usually let off a bad smell. Carbon monoxide let off by these kinds of appliances is very dangerous. In fact, thousands of people are hospitalized by CO poisoning every year. Now, if you don’t really smell something, there are still other signs you need to keep an eye out for.
For example, are you feeling headaches? What about dizzy spells, or a sense of nausea? Do you feel consumed, or are you falling unconscious all the time? Do you lack breath at a certain moment? Then you really need to do something about this, and go to the doctor, and a maintenance crew.
Get an alarm installed
Carbon monoxide is very difficult to detect. Getting a carbon monoxide alarm is a great way to stay safe and worry less. If you get one fitted in your home, you can get warned if your CO levels are growing too quickly. Too many people don’t have working carbon monoxide alarms, which can easily be bought from any gas company or department store.
If the worse happens, you need to be ready. Smelling rotten eggs is a common sign that something is off. Do not use your phone, your landline, and don’t use any electrical switches. You need to go outside, leave the door open and call your utility provider. You want to vent your house properly.
And there you have it folks, a couple of important tips you need to keep in mind at all times if you want to stay safe. Gas is a great fuel source, it makes things much simpler and easier (like giving you more control over cooking), as well as being pretty cheap. But you need to check your appliances every year if you want to stay safe. Ask for gas safety certificates, and never, ever tamper with your gas appliances unless you have proper training. Keep an eye on certain warning signs, and get a carbon monoxide alarm.
Show Comments (0)