If you are obsessed with luxury watches and want to expand your collection, you are probably well aware that it can be challenging to buy a genuine luxury watch these days. The main reason is that there are many knock-offs out there competing with actual watchmakers for consumer dollars. So, it is essential that you make an effort to determine just how you can buy a genuine product without getting scammed.
In this article, you will learn how to identify a genuine Rolex watch. With so many counterfeit products in the market today, it’s good to be extra careful before making a purchase. So, keep reading to find out more!
How to Choose a Luxury Watch
One of the all-time best luxury watch brands out there is Rolex. This brand has been around for a long time because many people know that buying yourself a Rolex is a terrific investment. If you take good care of your luxury watch, your Rolex will be around for years. Here are some tips to follow, so you acquire a genuine Rolex, not a counterfeit one:
- Deal only with Official Rolex Retailers. Since Rolex is a luxury watch brand, the company is cautious about who represents it during sales transactions. To find a list of Official Rolex Retailers in your country, you can go to the official Rolex website.
- If you are looking for a specific Rolex watch, the Official Rolex Retailers can show you images of the watches that match your description. You can also browse the official Rolex website to find watch collections and see the newest products being offered.
- Official Rolex Retailers are authorized to assist customers who ask about the warranty for each watch. Every Rolex watch has an international warranty good for five years. Don’t bring your Rolex to third-party retailers if you think something is wrong with your watch because they might violate the warranty. The Official Rolex Retailers are authorized to inspect your watch for you. That way, the company will honor your warranty.
- It is possible that your Official Rolex Retailers in your country do not carry the specific Rolex watch model you are seeking to buy. You should consult them anyway because they can quickly contact the company representatives to inquire which countries and regions could have that watch model in their inventory.
- Sometimes, your preferred watch model is unavailable because the demand was very high for that product. Your Official Rolex Retailers can refer you to other watch models that you may choose to buy instead.
- When you are buying your preferred Rolex, make sure the Official Rolex Retailer you are dealing with fills in the guarantee card of your watch entirely. This is necessary so that the company will honor the five-year warranty. Keep the receipt as well.
- The warranty doesn’t cover everything that may happen to your Rolex watch. It won’t cover accidental loss of the watch, damage because of negligent use, theft, and especially damage due to normal wear-and-tear conditions. If you are unsure about what is covered by the five-year warranty, discuss this with your Official Rolex Retailer.
- If you are going to claim the warranty for your Rolex, be sure to visit the Official Rolex Retailer where you bought your watch. You will bring the watch itself and present it along with the warranty card and your receipt to prove that you are a legitimate customer. Only the Official Rolex Service Centre is authorized to carry out any repairs to your Rolex watch as part of the terms of your warranty.
- If you bought your Rolex sometime between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2015, take note that your warranty was extended for another three years.
Ways to Prolong the Life Expectancy of Your Rolex Watch
- Keep using it regularly, even daily if possible. This is because as you move your wrist around, the Rolex on it will absorb the energy and transfer it to the Perpetual rotor within the watch. The rotor, in turn, will move the energy to the mainspring. The end result is that your watch will keep functioning daily as it is “nourished” by your energy.
- If for some reason you haven’t been using your Rolex daily and just kept it in a safe place for two days, you will have to do manual winding of the Rolex. That will help it function correctly again. This doesn’t damage the watch at all.
- If you need to clean your Rolex, be sure the case is still waterproof. You may use a microfiber cloth to wipe it. This will maintain the shiny luster of your watch. Sometimes, if something like food particles fell on your Rolex, you may have to use mild soap and water to wash it. If necessary, you can use a soft brush to remove the particles as you soap the watch. Those watches immersed somehow in the ocean, such as when you go diving or swimming, will have to be rinsed with fresh water, so the salt and sand particles do not stick to the watch.
- Although all Rolex watches are indeed waterproof, there are limits to the depth they can be submerged. Rolex Oyster Perpetual watches can be immersed at a minimum of 100 meters. Rolex Cellini watches can be submerged up to 50 meters.
- Since all Rolex watches are tested under extreme conditions, such as severe cold or being subject to rough vibrations, you can expect your Rolex to last for a long time. This doesn’t mean, though, that you should be careless. It would be best if you still took care of your Rolex to be usable for many years, even decades.
- If you believe that your Rolex needs polishing, don’t do that by yourself. You may wind up damaging the watch. Contact an Official Rolex Service Centre so they can do that for you.
Having a Rolex is a luxury that some people can afford. But you should make sure that you only buy genuine Rolex watches at any time. If you are unsure whether a particular store or website is a real Official Rolex Retailer, contact the company first or visit the official website of Rolex for clarification.